Del Mar, California
In 1882, the Southern California Railroad began its new route from San Diego to San Bernardino. A man by the name of Theodore Loop, who worked for the railroad, instantly fell in love with what he called “the most attractive place on the entire coast.” He and his wife, Ella, built a tent city on the beach, which Ella called Del Mar. Several years later, the South Coast Land Company eventually built a new hotel called the Stratford Inn. From the moment it opened its doors in 1910, the hotel became a focal point of town and a magnet for Hollywood stars. Today, Del Mar remains one of the most beautiful destinations along the Western Coastline. The City is comprised of two square miles of coastal land and has a population around 4,500 and is located in San Diego County.