Elk Grove-Laguna, California
Elk Grove was established in 1850 as a hotel and stage stop, located about 15 miles south of historic Sutter’s Fort. The area became a crossroads for business, entertainment, mail service and agricultural ventures as well as supplying much of the needs of the early miners in the gold fields of nearby Sheldon, Sloughhouse and Coloma. It is now home to over 60,000 residents.
The Laguna area, which is the newest part of Elk Grove has added a major new dimension to the community. Residential growth in the adjoining communities of Franklin, Wilton, Sheldon, Vintage Park, Churchill Downs, Sloughhouse and Rancho Murieta have made Elk Grove an increasingly important business center.