Covington, one of the seats of Kenton county, is located at the confluence of the Ohio and Licking rivers. The area was known as The Point during the eighteenth century and a settlement there may have been known as Kennedy’s Ferry. In 1815 the town of Covington was formed and named for General Leonard Wales Covington. The other seat of Kenton county is Independence. The population of Covington in 2000 was 43,370.