The city of Marietta, Georgia is northwest of Atlanta in beautiful Cobb County. It has a population of 58,359 per 2010 census and covers over 52 square kilometers of land.
The origin of the name is uncertain. It is believed that the city was named for Mary Cobb, the wife of U.S. Senator and superior court Judge Thomas Willis Cobb. Judge Cobb is the namesake of the county. Homes were built by early settlers near the Cherokee town of Big Shanty (now Kennesaw) prior to 1824. The first plat was laid out in 1833. Like most towns, Marietta had a square in the center with a courthouse. The Georgia General Assembly legally recognized the community on December 19, 1834.
Median household income: $38,985